1. Name and draw all isomers of C6H14:
2. Classify the following as alkanes, alkenes, or alkynes:
3. Organic compounds have names with characteristic endings. To what classes of organic compounds do the following endings belong?
f. -oic acid
a. Draw an ester with the formula C4H8O2
b. Draw an ether with the formula C3H8O
c. Draw the structure of diethyl ether
d. Draw 2-methyl-2-butene
5. Draw and name all isomers of 2-methyl-2-butene (there are 5 more, the general formula is C5H10)
6. Acetic acid is the common name for the carboxylic acid with two carbons. Draw it and give its IUPAC name.
7. When a carboxylic acid functions as an acid it looses the proton in the functional group. When acetic acid looses a proton it becomes acetate. This is an ion you were required to memorize in the previous class. Draw two resonance structures of acetate.
8. Distinguish between allotrope, isotope and isomer.
9. What is the hybridization of a carbon if it is in an alkyne group? What is the bond angle in an alkyne group?
10. Draw an alkene molecule which contains 2 double bonds and has
a. an sp hybridized carbon
b. no sp hybridized carbons (hint, you need at least 4 carbons)